Thursday, November 01, 2012

November 1.

Quote of the Day.

Slow down,
calm down, 
don't worry, 
don't hurry, 
trust the process.
Alexandra Stoddard

First of the month, and I'm in need of a fresh start. Re-charged batteries and re-born inspiration. Reading this quote - sectioned like this - helps me do exactly what it says. Slow down. It helps me step back, take a breath, and allow myself a moment off.
A lot of times procrastinators, such as myself, get caught up in this vicious circle. I put off work to the last minute, because "I work best under pressure." That may be true, but what's also true is that putting off work doesn't equal putting off the stress. Rather, the stress seems to snowball on me as I'm going down the hill of - whatever - the semester, the nearing deadline..and I don't respond well to stress. Stressed out, I push work even further into the future, trying to grip onto these created moments of "freedom"...until even more worry, anxiety, and panic settle atop my chest.
Lately I've been really trying to push myself to create a different process of working. "Trust the process," I tell myself, and while my other half keeps fighting it, wanting to stick to the norm of cutting it as close as possible , I push to produce something a little earlier than "necessary." Perhaps I'll try to dedicate this month to victories - even tiny ones - in this arena.

And things will turn out just fine.

No comments: