Sunday, September 02, 2012

September 2
Hibernation has ended.

"Let us celebrate with wine and sweet words" (Plautus; August 11), say I, as the blog rises from the ashes!  Not only has this break served as a break from Quotes of the Day, but it has freed time for thought, time for myself, deliberately weighing pros and cons, truths and expectations of life.
With my relationship having gone through some not-so-easy times in the recent and not-so-recent history, it's good to have stepped into a (shared!!) space of understanding, openness, and honest-to-god dedication. Truly appreciating the fact that "Happiness is a journey not a destination" (Souza, August 12) and that it is crucial in a relationship to not forget to put time and effort into the love and the other, to really "Take care of each other" (Robert Louis Stevenson, August 13), is a lesson I've been paying close attention to in the past weeks. Prioritizing the other, not above yourself or below, but in a shared-1st-place type of way, must - (must!) - happen.
As I'm sitting here in my nightie, still rubbing the sleep off my eyes and trying to truly wake up my mind and body, I'm wondering if I'm dull or if all that I'm now writing is less than worthy, as - apparently - "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" (Oscar Wilde, August 14). One way or the other, it's a miracle in itself that out of all the possible moments, I choose Sunday breakfast to re-invigorate the Quotations-blog.
"Never be afraid to sit awhile and think" (Lorraine Hansberry, August 15), they say, and I concur with the utmost conviction. A month of time-to-think-and-clear-my-head richer, I can truly say that just taking a step away from whatever it is that you're dealing with - a situation, a life decision, a person, yourself - is often a deceptively simple and incredibly effective way to move forward. Taking a break can work as a sort of refresh-button.

Now, there are two things I think of when reading Doug Larson's (August 16) quote "For disappearing acts, it's hard to beat what happens to the eight hours supposedly left after eight of sleep and eight of work." Firstly, this is the perfect excuse for why it took me an eternity to get this blog up-to-date! Second..with more work and engagements on my plate this year than ever before, I hope I can manage to play magician, and uncover some of this hidden time. Wish me luck!
School-related, again, it's interesting to think of our accomplishments - whatever they may be - as lasting, and hopefully mattering, beyond our short-ish lifespan. "Whoever teaches his son teaches not alone his son, but also his son's son, and so on to the end of generations" (Hebrew proverb, August 17) is true. Whether it's shaping the worldview and customs of a child at home, educating the youth in school, or working on people's perceptions via the arts, design, or scientific discoveries and inventions, in one way or another, my work, my efforts, my ideas and beliefs live on. What are the implications of that to how I present all of these to whoever or whatever I come in contact with?

























Maybe I'm burdening my merely-awakened brain a little too much for now, so let me leave this (first of a few) update with this: "If a word be worth one shekel, silence is worth two" (Hebrew proverb, August 18).

A deep breath in, an exhale out.
Hello world.

No comments: